The Qinghai part of Amdo

There are 5 Tibetan Autonomous Prefectures within Qinghai that are Amdo speaking and one other prefecture with a large Amdo Tibetan population. Approximately 60% of the Amdo speaking Tibetans in China live within Qinghai. The remaining 40% live in Gansu and Sichuan. All together, there are approximately 900,000 Amdo Tibetans in Qinghai. The Amdo Tibetan autonomous prefectures in Qinghai are:

1. Guoluo / Golog མགོ་ལོག་

2. Huangnan / Malho རྨ་ལྷོ་

3. Hainan / Tsolho མཚོ་ལྷོ་

4. Haibei / Tsochang མཚོ་བྱང་

5. Haixi / Tsonub མཚོ་ནུབ་

6. Haidong* / Tsoshar མཚོ་ཤར་

7. Xining City** / Siling ཟི་ལིང་

* Haidong is not a Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, but is home to over 135,000 Amdo Tibetans. The current 14th Dalai Lama as well as the late 10th Panchen Lama are both from this prefecture.

**Xining City is not in a Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture. There are approximately 120,000 Tibetans in Xining, which is just over 5% of the total Xining City population. Xining City covers the Xining city limits as well as the 3 surrounding counties of Datong, Huangzhong and Huangyuan.

http://www.thelandofsnows.com/amdo/the-qinghai-part-of-amdo/

This article was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink. Follow comments with the RSS feed for this post.Both comments and trackbacks are closed.